Monday, June 25, 2012



Okay, here's just a reminder about this week's Relief Society meeting ... and before we get started, I thought I'd offer a few pictures to get going (and possibly toot my own horn). I'm pretty proud of my little herb garden I have on my back porch. It's pretty and easy to saunter outside while I'm cooking and pick a few fresh herbs. As you can see, I need to take the buds off of my basil so that they will get more growth in the leaves and less in expansion. But I'm sure you'll hear more about that on Thursday evening.

First of all, the meeting will start at 6:30 p.m. Babysitting will be provided for those of you who need to bring your children. The topics will be gardening (no matter what circumstance you are in) and eating from your garden. As an aside, we'd like to offer you the opportunity of bringing your favorite recipe using fresh produce as well as a potluck dish highlighting the recipe. This is encouraged, but not mandatory.

We don't plan on having a dinner, but we would love for you to have the opportunity to taste each other's specialties and hopefully get you more excited about starting a garden. For those of you who can and cannot come, we'd really love for you to upload your recipes to either our blog or facebook page. Let's share with each other!! If you don't know how to do so, the easiest way is to make a comment and you can then enter your recipe. There is no limit (as far as I know) to the amount of recipes blogger will allow you to share. So, please share your best, I know I for one will be happy to try them, especially if they have your stamp of approval. If you can't figure out how to upload your recipe, then feel free to email it to me (lorraine.dunnington@gmail.com) and I'll post it for you.





I'm so excited about my potted tomatoes. See the first cherry tomato?!! I go outside everyday and check and make sure that it's still there. I don't know why, I guess I'm afraid the ducks and geese that waddle through my yard are going to steal my tomatoes before I get to taste them. Anyway, just another example of the "NO EXCUSE FOR FRESH PRODUCE" (how do you like my rhyming) mantra that we each should own. No matter what your circumstances, you, too, can have a little tomato on your back porch, or windowsill, even your garage or basement (with grow lights of course).

So, please, please, please, come and join us. Even if you know that you will never have a garden large enough to feed your whole family for the year, or even if you think you wouldn't even want to have a container garden of herbs in your window sill. You might, just might, feel encouraged enough to save that dying plant in the corner, or purchase a REAL plant and keep it going. You never know until you try! At the very least, we would love your company and to share our fresh foods and recipes with you.

Much love,

The Notre Dame Ward Relief Society

1 comment:

  1. From RobAnn:

    Grilling Seasoning Mix

    2 T salt
    2 t brown sugar
    1 t black pepper
    1/2 t chili powder
    1/2 t paprika
    1/4 t cornstarch
    1/4 t garlic powder
    1/4 t onion powder
    1/4 t tumeric

    Mix together in a plastic bag, then snip off the corner and pour into a jar with a shaker lid.

    This is great sprinkled on sliced zucchini or yellow squash before grilling, and also great generously sprinkled on steak before grilling, but I don't grow steak in my garden....

    ReplyDelete